This Week in Sci-Fi–March 8-14, 2015
- As far as Marvel goes, pretty much just the first Daredevil trailer is of note. Looks cool, under a month away. Can’t wait.
- And speaking of trailers, a Tomorrowland trailer was also released this week. I still don’t really know how to feel about it…
- Stephen King’s sci-fi short story The Jaunt is being adapted into a film. I’m familiar with the story, I don’t know how the hell they’re going to make a feature length movie out of it. Low expectations out the gate on this one.
- After a long time on the back burner, it’s finally been confirmed: Tron 3 will start shooting on October 5 of this year. The same director will be returning, as will the leads from Tron Legacy. Say what you will about it, but I enjoyed the film quite a bit, so I’m looking forward to the sequel. The consensus seems to be, “Great, as long as you bring back Daft Punk too!”
- That Star Wars news I mentioned? The first standalone movie, directed by Gareth Edwards of the recent Godzilla reboot, will be Rogue One, which seems to be loosely drawing from the old EU with its Rogue Squadron titles. Wedge Antilles is one of the characters who held the title of Rogue One, a name familiar to fans of the original trilogy and probably Final Fantasy players too. There’s been some concept art publicly shown, but not available online yet, which you can read about here.
- They also announced that Episode VIII will be directed by Rian Johnson of Looper and will be released May 26, 2017. I didn’t really like Looper very much so I’m not too excited by this news, but I’m willing to give him another chance. I guess this is bad news for his “cyberpunk” project he was supposed to be working on, though.
- On the Syfy channel front, they’ve announced they’re picking up 12 Monkeys for a second season. Maybe I’ll watch the first one now? Probably not.
- Also, they announced that Ascension isn’t being picked up to a full series. Which, as much as it sucked and pissed off the audience, is a good thing. I wish it hadn’t been so bad.
That’s all for this week. Anything I missed? Let me know in the comments, or on Twitter @RetroPhaseShift.